Senior Backend Engineer
Your technical expertise helps us bring our advanced deep learning algorithms to every dental practice in the world so we can increase the quality of healthcare globally. Using micro services on Kubernetes and serverless on AWS you make sure our algorithms perform well, and our data is securely transported across our platform
Promaton is changing dental healthcare by automating diagnostics and
treatment workflows using AI, making healthcare more affordable and
accessible for everyone. Did you know dentists miss up to 30% of pathologies on an X-Ray? We are on a mission to eliminate errors in dentistry by improving diagnostic accuracy, and automating mundane work like creating 3D models by hand from an X-Ray. See our company page to learn more about what we do.
- Helping us scale our infrastructure from a few test customers in Europe, to global deployment with thousands of inferences per day. This involves all the work from security, to cluster setup and monitoring, to working on the applications to make them fast and robust.
- Creating internal tooling (like our data lake, clinical metrics service, etc) so we can work even faster on our AI models.
- Work on our proprietary labelling tool, which is used by dentists around the world to label images for our algorithms to train on
- Automating our CI/CD pipelines, so we can safely develop and deploy our applications continuously
There are two factors that make the above especially challenging:
- We run very heavy AI jobs on big (expensive) GPU machines, but our load is sporadic. To keep cost under control, we heavily invest in auto scaling, and optimisation of our algorithms. Improving our server utilization is essential for our success.
- Because we work with large files (from 8mb to 1GB) most off-the-shelve "data science/engineering" tools don't work for us, so we have to be smart about what we take off the shelve, and what we develop in house.
- We are a medical software manufacturer, meaning we comply with the highest standards of software development
- 💰 Excellent employment terms
- 🏡 Freedom to work from anywhere you like (and any time you like). We only have a few touch points. Not just because of Covid, we are a remote company by design, and have people working from all over Europe.
- 👩🔬 Dedicated time for hackathons and research, to explore new ideas of your own
- 🎓 Real training budget for books and conferences or anything else you need to grow.
- 🚀 Work with the latest technology, on the front-end of a rapidly changing field in medical
- 💪 Loads of responsibility and autonomy, zero bureaucracy and a chance to make a real impact
- 🏖 Awesome yearly company retreat, and quarterly team events.
- ⛺️ 25 days of annual leave
- 💻 Top-notch gear, and even bigger servers to play with
- 🏄♂️ Promaton is funded for many years to come, meaning you can have the impact you only get at a startup, but with the job security of an established company.
- 🛬 For all international hackers: Promaton is recognized as a visa sponsor by the Dutch government
Our tech stack:
Kubernetes on AWS (with EKS), and AWS Lambdas for serverless.
AI pipelines in Python and Tensorflow, most other code is Typescript/Node.js in Kubernetes or serverless or TypeScript/React for the front-end. We are also launching our first Rust service this quarter, and have several smaller tools built in Rust.
Postgres, ELK, S3 for storage
Github, Jenkins for CI/CD
Prometheus, OpsGenie, Grafana, Jaeger for monitoring and alerting
- Computer science level degree or equivalent
- 5 years experience building back-end services
- 2+ years with cloud computing (AWS, G-Cloud or Azure)
- Your mindset: open-minded, innovative, detail-oriented
- Based in a time zone between UTC-1 and UTC+3 (-2 to +2 hours Amsterdam time)
- Ability to fly in for company events 4 times a year (1 week per quarter)
- Passion for machine learning
- Previous experience in a regulated environment
Sounds like you? Let's talk!